Tuesday, February 04, 2003
It must be list-making time at the Herald or something. Rob Lowing had her 100 best films a couple of weeks ago, now Peter Holmes names his 100 best songs. While it's hard to argue with the quality of the songs chosen, there's something depressingly predictable about the list itself; the only noticeably out-there choices for me were:
23. Last Great American Whale (Reed) - Lou Reed, 1989.
35. Big Hat, No Cattle (Newman) - Randy Newman, 1999.
50. No Regrets (Rush) - Walker Brothers, 1975.
74. Run Through The Jungle (Fogerty) - Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1970.
75. Everything's Turning To White (Kelly) - Paul Kelly, 1989.
82. Bad, Bad Leroy Brown (Croce) - Frank Sinatra, 1973. [?????!!!!!]
Nothing necessarily wrong with any of them, of course (can't imagine Frank doing "Leroy Brown" though), just that these don't strike me as the obvious choices from these performers. I don't know. At least, though, you can be sure the Vines will never be on Peter's list...